Wednesday, January 14, 2009

why post 13,870 dots ?

....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... ....... - I don't know if anyone noticed but I had 13,870 dots here... (now cut down to 365 + a dash for leap time.) I left the dots up here, for a few days. There is a reason, or if not really a reason, then an explanation of what I was thinking will have to do, I hope... You see I'm 38, a few months, and a few days into my life. 365 x 38 = 13,870.
I was thinking about the rather mindless way we don't think about millions and billions.
One million of something is 2,739.726 per day, or if that something is dollars $1,000,000/365 = $2,739.73.
I hear this old grade school teacher yelling " Time is money people! snap! snap! " And I remember thinking that I really didn't agree. And then someone else mumbled, "I've heard that a million times before." And it ocured to me that I had no idea, no way to visualize what a million looks like. The smallest character, like a grain of sand I could copy and paste with out actually arranging a million things in a room somehow, was a dot, so I typed 7 and then 7 x 52, and then 365 and by the time I got to 38 (the years I've been breathing outside the womb) I stopped. That was enough dots for me, to get the idea that er? 1,000,000/13,870 = 72.09 I would have to copy those 38 years worth of dots 72 times. And to be able to visualize all those million dots in one "image" or glance. I could print them out and lay paper out on my floor. Because they certainly don't fit on my screen. But, before I got there, (seemed like a waste of paper) I stopped myself, with.. "this is silly.. I've got things to do." and there you have it, why I posted 13,870 dots here for a while, just to think about the days I've had, in a very abstract way, I'll admit. (big sigh) enjoy your days for me. sincerely Uva Oxide

No comments: